Thursday, December 6, 2012

Patience, Love and Kindness

Lately, I have been receiving numerous emails with a common theme: one must love oneself before one can be open to accepting the love of others. I find this concept very interesting as it took me some time to learn this before others were spouting it. Had I just been patient, I'm sure someone could have handed me the answer I was so desperately searching for. But I searched on my own. I found patience, love and kindness from many others. These folks who have been so giving unto me have taught me many things about life. Kindness goes a long way. Patience is not just a virtue, it is a wonderful character trait that kindhearted people filled with love also have.

I love to love. I love to be kind. I like to think I have an insurmountable and never ending supply of patience. But my patience is running out. It is running out because I am being hurt by all the kindness, love and patience that I give. When is it enough? When do I walk away from the love and end my patience? It is two sides to the same coin. I must choose a side. I must choose the side that protects me without hurting the other party. I must live my life within reasonable boundaries. I cannot live my life within someone else's boundaries. I cannot be controlled and still be the same happy, loving, patient, kind person that I naturally am.

Breaking the chains of love is hard. It involves patience, but also courage. It involves kindness but also strength. It involves love: love of oneself and love of others. Be patient but be strong. Be kind but be courageous. Be respectful of your needs and the needs of others. Break the chains of love with care and they can be mended. Move forward and learn from your past successes and failures. These will be the building blocks for a house of love, with paving stones of kindness and patience.

We cannot be immune to heartbreak but we can grow stronger from each interaction. The emotions that heartbreak awakens in us are real and are crying out for attention, to be listened to, to be healed. Heal yourself by cutting out the negativity in your life. This may be negativity in your head, in your heart, in your house, in your relationships. The bright side is never far away but sometimes the journey to get there is long and arduous. Prepare yourself each time so that you will come out stronger than when you went in. It will be ok. It will always be ok. It always has been ok.

My love to all of you

No comments:

Post a Comment