Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Progress Report

Not much to report so far.  My intake assessment was almost a waste of time but I did manage to get into a group that meets weekly for 8 weeks.  We are learning about self-management; appropriate and inappropriate methods of self-care/self-management.  I know most of this stuff already.  It's the DOING part that is difficult.  Change takes time, effort and support.  And TONS of patience...it seems to be easier to inappropriately self-manage but easier isn't always better.  Better isn't always easier.

I see a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks so that is good.  Time is slowly creeping by but at the same time flying so fast that I am having a difficult time keeping up.  I have set a few personal goals to accomplish within the next year and in between that I am working on positive everyday living; managing myself and having a life filled with activities and people that I enjoy and love without overwhelming myself.

My dad was in town this weekend for a visit and we had a nice talk.  Ok, I had a meltdown, he let me cry for a bit and then we had a heart-to-heart about life.  So, more than a nice talk. : )  My parents have been supportive even though they are unsure of how or what I need from them.  I have only told them recently about what has been going on and struggled to keep it to myself that long even.  I wanted to wait until I had an official diagnosis but I couldn't.  I felt that I was keeping something secret from them and that is the last thing that I want to do with my family.  They are an important part of my life and offer unconditional love and support.  Even though they don't live here with me I know they think of me often and care about me not only as their daughter but as a person, and adult trying to make it in the world today.  They do what they can to be there for me despite the geographical distance and I appreciate it in ways they will never know.  "Thank you" just doesn't cut it most of the time.  It's so much more and I hope that they know that.  I love you Mom and Dad. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment